Thursday, March 17, 2011

New Year's Eve

“This seems to be a year that I have had to pay my dues.”

That's what I said to myself, over and over. The recourse towards my loneliness was so obvious, even to myself. I saw through me quicker than any ghost that I've lived with before.

I sighed, and told myself that there's always next year. But those words just didn't seem to change much about how I felt towards the situation.

I knelt down, and I began my work with the painkillers in the pharmacy; stocking them, that is. I hate to admit that I was dragging myself along; my eyes weren't as wide this one, certain night.
Faintly, footsteps approached and my manager shouts “Happy New Year James,” from somewhere behind me. “Happy New Year, Anthony,” I respond.

My mind wandered and came up with numerous ideas of how the rest of the world was out partying and enjoying themselves beyond belief, which I was happy for. I thought of you. My manager turned the corner and slowly faded off and entered the back room, leaving me solely alone on my side of the store. I thought of you again, and wished that somehow in all of this confusion, you would read between the lines; you would know what was being said, without having to say it. I fantasized over how I would give anything to just hear you approach. To turn around to find your silhouette. To turn around to you, ready with your heart in your hand.

But instead, I dialed back into myself. My hazy outlook became clear again, as did my reasoning. I looked to the marble floor, and I couldn't even see my own reflection; I felt that lost.

So I turned to the inside of the aisle, began to stock, and started humming to myself:

Hmm.... Hmm ....
Someday....
Someday, my pain will fade...
Hmm.... Hmm ....
Someday....
Someday, my pain will fade away...
Hmm.... Hmm.... Hmm.....

4 comments:

WritingsForLife said...

Someday, right?

That is what we are all living for. Sigh.

James Canady said...

Yes, madam. Someday.

But despite the vagueness, the good news is that someday always comes :]

<3

Jo Bryant said...

fantastic = loved every word of this

James Canady said...

Thank you so much Jo! I really do appreciate it! I'm happy that you happened across here and even happier that you enjoyed it :]